The core is equipped with six mass-spectrometry platforms to provide a wide range of analyses to customers and collaborators. These instruments are housed in a purpose-built access-controlled facility with dedicated HVAC, and many power and network connections. This facility provides ample space and flexibility for future growth and instrument developments.
- Thermo Fusion Lumos – This is our primary platform. The Lumos is the most sensitive and versatile mass spectrometer currently available for proteomics work, and can do CID, HCD, and ETD fragmentation. Our two Lumos mass spectrometers are coupled to a Dionex Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
- Thermo QExactive HF – This instrument is used for the lower sensitivity analyses and is a lower cost alternative to our customers. The QExactive HF is a highly sensitive, accurate mass instrument that uses an Orbitrap detector and HCD fragmentation. Our QExactive HF is coupled to a Dionex Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
- Thermo Orbitrap Elite – This instrument is used as a backup for our QExactive HF and for QC testing. The Orbitrap Elite is a hybrid instrument consisting of an LTQ Velos Pro linear ion-trap coupled to a high-field Orbitrap detector. This allows high-mass accuracy scans to be acquired in the Orbitrap, and rapid sensitive scans to be acquired in the LTQ. The instrument can perform CID, HCD and ETD fragmentation. Our Orbitrap Elite is coupled to a Dionex Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
Across our shotgun proteomics platforms we use Thermo EASY-Spray columns with varying dimensions depending on the requirements of the analysis.
- AB Sciex 6500 QTRAP – The 6500 QTRAP is a high-end triple quadrupole/ ion-trap instrument used for targeted proteomics samples. It is an extremely sensitive instrument capable of accurately quantifying the abundance of molecules at low-levels in complex mixtures. Our 6500 QTRAP is coupled to a Dionex Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
Intact Mass Analysis
- Sciex X500B QTOF – The X500B QTOF is dedicated to the analysis of intact proteins in solution. It can determine molecular weights of proteins up to ~150 kDa with very high mass accuracy (typically within less than 1 Da). This instrument is coupled to an Agilent 1290 Infinity II LC with a POROS R1 column for protein separation.