The core is equipped with seven mass-spectrometry platforms to provide a wide range of analyses to customers and collaborators. These instruments are housed in a purpose-built access-controlled facility with dedicated HVAC, and many power and network connections. This facility provides ample space and flexibility for future growth and instrument developments.
- Thermo Orbitrap Eclipse – This mass spectrometer was acquired by the core in May 2022. The Eclipse is among the most sensitive and versatile mass spectrometers currently available for proteomics work, and is especially designed for optimal TMT data acquisition.
- Thermo Orbitrap Fusion Lumos – This is our primary platform. The Lumos can do CID, HCD, and ETD fragmentation. Our two Lumos mass spectrometers are coupled to Thermo Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
- Thermo QExactive HF – This instrument is used for less complex samples, and is a lower cost alternative to our customers. The QExactive HF is a highly sensitive, accurate mass instrument that uses an Orbitrap detector and HCD fragmentation. Our two QExactive HF mass spectrometers are coupled to Thermo Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
Across our shotgun proteomics platforms we use Thermo EASY-Spray columns with varying dimensions depending on the requirements of the analysis.
- AB Sciex 6500 QTRAP – The 6500 QTRAP is a high-end triple quadrupole/ ion-trap instrument used for targeted proteomics samples. It is an extremely sensitive instrument capable of accurately quantifying the abundance of molecules at low-levels in complex mixtures. Our 6500 QTRAP is coupled to a Thermo Ultimate 3000 RSLCNano LC system for high-resolution and reproducible separations.
Intact Mass Analysis
- Sciex X500B QTOF – The X500B QTOF is dedicated to the analysis of intact proteins in solution. It can determine molecular weights of proteins up to ~150 kDa with very high mass accuracy (typically within less than 1 Da). This instrument is coupled to an Agilent 1290 Infinity II LC with a POROS R1 column for protein separation.